What Is the Best Way to Clean Hearing Aid Earpieces?
If you have any sort of hearing device, one thing you need to make sure you do is keep on top of maintenance and cleaning so that your hearing aid can last for many years to come. After all, the last thing you want is for your device to break within a matter of months, resulting in further hassle and even more expense. Keeping that in mind, in this blog post, we are going to provide you with some tips on how to clean your hearing aid properly.
It is essential to recognize that the approach you use to clean your hearing device will depend on the type that you have. Therefore, later in this post, we will explore cleaning for different sorts of hearing devices. First, though, we are going to provide you with some general tips on how you can keep your hearing devices in the best condition.
Here are some tips to follow when it comes to cleaning your hearing aids
- Do not use a sharp instrument to get wax out of your hearing device.
- Be cautious when placing your hearing device on a hard surface.
- Do not expose your hearing device to excessive cold or heat.
- Take your hearing device off before you swim, bathe or shower.
- Protect your hearing device from hairspray, perfumes and creams.
- Perform all battery changes and cleaning over a cloth so that any accidental damage or loss of the battery does not occur.
- Handle your hearing device with care.
- Clean your hearing aid on a daily basis.
You also need to make sure that you are careful whenever your hearing aid is not in use as well. The following advice is applicable when you take off your hearing device, even if you only do so for a short period of time:
- Remove the batteries fully if you are not going to be using your hearing device for an extended period of time.
- Ensure that your hearing device is out of the way of pets and small children.
- Your hearing device should be stored in an area that is dry and cool, away from any direct sunlight.
- Your hearing device should be stored safely in a protective box. This will typically be provided when you purchase your hearing aid.
- Open the battery compartment door when your device is not in use. This is vital because it stops the battery from running down when you are not using your hearing aid.
- Switch your hearing aid off when you are not using it.
As mentioned earlier, the method you use will depend on the type of hearing device you currently own, so this is definitely something you are going to need to consider when cleaning your hearing aid.
As behind-the-ear (BTE) hearing aids are the most popular, we are going to take a look at how you can clean this sort of hearing device. For those who are unaware. Here are some key pieces of advice and suggestions to follow when it comes to cleaning and looking after this type of hearing device:
- You should never immerse your BTE hearing device into water.
- Cleaning fluids or solvents should be used to clean your device.
- Use a soft cloth when cleaning the main body of the hearing device, wiping it gently.
- Do not enable the tubing on the hearing aid to become twisted.
- When you are cleaning this device, you will need to clean the tubing and mold carefully.
- You should take them out of the hearing aid in one piece, and then use soapy, lukewarm water to clean them. These pieces should be allowed to dry naturally. Make certain that no drops of water are left in the tube. Once you have done this, you simply need to reattach your hearing aid and you are good to go. It will become second nature after a few attempts!
Contact us at Armand’s Hearing Center
If you have any questions about your hearing aids or you need assistance when it comes to cleaning your device, you can contact a leading hearing instrument specialist at Armand’s Hearing Center and we are sure that this will give you full peace of mind. You can call us today at Bradenton: 941-748-9800 and Sun City: 813-938-1148
Please do not be afraid to give us a call and ask any queries you may have. We are always happy to lend a helping hand!